No like waiting for a roller coaster ride, or waiting for the dentist- those are fun!
I’m talking about waiting to hear back from a curated list of prospective agents you’ve submitted your manuscript to; a manuscript you’ve worked on for years.
You’ve taken care of this baby, raised it, groomed it, edited the crap out of it, until, finally, it’s ready to hit the inboxes of agents you think it’s right for.
And you wait.
And you wait.
(sometimes, after a couple years, even after you aren’t waiting for a response anymore, you get one).
Oh My God. It’s been 5 minutes! Why haven’t they realized my genius! This is the perfect story for ANYONE!
Okay, maybe not five minutes, but five weeks. ANd the wait time can be up to a few months. So, what do you do?
Well, there’s always things like Tara Lazar’s StoryStorm to keep you busy in January, writing another story, reading, drinking coffee. But, there’s only so much your brain can take. You still want that answer!
So, here’s a list of my...
TOP TEN THINGS TO DO WHEN WAITING FOR A RESPOSNE
10. That to do home improvement list? Time to get a couple things done!
9. Sleep- not a nap, I’m talking give me that poison apple, knock me out for a few months sleep.
8. Take thousands of pictures of your cats, and post THEM ALL on-line, cuz, you know, EVERYONE needs to see you awesome your cats are.
7. Make a bunch of nonsensical Top Ten Lists for people to read.
6. Paint every room in your house!
5. Train for a marathon.
4. Those new things you always wanted to learn to do? Well, time to pick up a few of them for a couple weeks, and then promptly stop doing them.
3. Refinish your floors.
2. Check your e-mail every fifteen minutes.
And, the Number One Thing To Do When Waiting For A Response...
1. ...Binge watch Netflix!